Friday, April 26, 2013

Some small things coming along

I graduated from sewing square curtains on a borrowed machine to sewing heavy duty upholstery covers on my very own sewing machine. With homemade piping!  Thank you everyone who has ever posted a YouTube video about sewing piping and seat cushions. I think I watched them all.

I got my sewing machine from my favorite sewing store, Selvedge Studio. It is one of their "student" machines- they teach all manner of sewing classes there and sometimes the used machines come up for sale. Perfect for me. They are very supportive and helpful over there at Selvedge, if you are ever in Missoula you should stop in and buy something.  

Here's the first finished seat cover (yaaaaaay).  It looks like there's a big lump in it but I assure you it is just a harsh shadow from the camera flash.  Now I have 4 more cushions to go! They aren't all dark brown- the seats are dark brown, and then the back rest cushions are a faux cowhide pattern.  By the time I get to those, I'll be much more confident in my sewing.  I broke the sewing machine needle last night, which is something I'd always been afraid of. As it turns out, this is completely not a big deal and it takes about 30 seconds to change to a fresh needle.  Who knew.

By the way, look at that beautiful table the cushion is sitting on.  David made that- he has talent.

We took of the Grizzly Bear decal the other day.  It just took a little time with a hair dryer and a plastic scraper.  The camper looks much better without that. No offense to Griz Nation of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment