Sunday, July 21, 2013

Awning is complete

This is a follow up to my previous post, which has a lot of instructions about making an awning. Instructions I gleaned from other sources.  Glad to report that it is finished.

 Here is how it went down.


I had a lot of help with this, as you can see. Natalie and Miles were there constantly to make sure everything went well. Also helpful: someone on the Tin Can Tourist FB page who mentioned the half off awning fabric sale at JoAnn- it was quite a score. Thanks. 

David made the template for the scallops, which was really helpful.  He traced the edge of a plate in such a way that he got exactly 3 scallops per pattern repeat.  It turned out really well- the only challenging thing about the scallops was that it is hard to get the bias tape all the way up into the "corner" between the scallops.  If I were to do another awning, I would use this kind of profile:


It would be easier to sew on the binding tape.  I heard on FB that Sailrite.com has a special bias tape that is easier to work with than regular bias tape. That is the company that makes (or at least sells) the Keder line.



The completed awning is 75" by 60".  We put it on the camper and it looks great. However I forgot to take a picture, so it's almost like it didn't happen.  We have tent poles that we got on eBay for a few dollars.  David made a rack inside the camper closet to hold the poles and the stakes and pulley.  I'll sew a bag to keep the awning in for storage.  What else?  For the most part I followed the ThisMontanaLife.com instructions.  A few changes (I will also note this on the previous post):
* I didn't encase the side seams in bias tape.
* Instead I used the French seam plus a welt stich to make it more rigid and strong.
*I added a grommet on the last scallop on the left hand side (closest to the camper when mounted) that can be used for the pull rope when putting the awning in place.

Can I just say that the hardest part of this whole project was putting in the grommets?  I spent so much time bonding with the awning and taking care of it, nurturing it to reach its destiny. And the final step is to cut holes in it and then hit it with a hammer. Ouch.  Of course it turned out fine.

1 comment:

  1. I spent so much time bonding with the awning and taking care of it

    Outdoor blinds

    ReplyDelete