Friday, July 5, 2013

Time to make the awning

Things are coming together for the awning. I'm going to sew it. Big thanks to This Montana Life for posting a detailed step by tuturorial. Here it is.  The author also makes custom awnings, and you can find out more about that at www.theawninglady.com.

In the tutorial she describes making her own keder rope (which gets sewn to the awning, and then run through the awning rail to connect the camper. But on the other webpage she says she uses keder rope bead.  So I emailed her since she seems very friendly and interesting, and is a fellow Montanan.

We got the fabric at Joann's, on sale thanks to a tip off from someone at Tin Can Tourists. 
It's Monteserra Sangria, I believe (photos forthcoming). 

Here are some keder rope sites, I'm putting them here so I don't lose them.


Well that's the main one I found that I like, I enjoy the YouTube videos. If anyone knows other sources or products let me know.  Thanks.  Here we go. (Just as soon as my fabric comes in the mail).

Update:
This is a helpful video about how to do a rope and pulley system to make the installation easier.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00AFXao-k4I

Another update:

I varied slightly from the instructions at ThisMontanalife.com

* I didn't encase the side seams in bias tape.
* Instead I used the French seam plus a welt stich to make it more rigid and strong.
* I purchased keder rope from Sailrite.com, and it turns out that is what the author of the aforementioned blog uses also. She told me she doesn't make her own anymore.
*I added a grommet on the last scallop on the left hand side (closest to the camper when mounted) that can be used for the pull rope when putting the awning in place.


4 comments:

  1. http://girl-camping.blogspot.com/2012/02/awning-for-your-vintage-trailer.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats a nice blog which give a suitable info about Awnings Roma Qld thanks to share such type of info with us.I want to continue with your blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't think an awning would make that big of a difference but in the heat of summer it helps a ton. I sat under one at my sisters and now I want one over my porch. It would be nice to sit under while I watch the kids play.

    http://www.deancustomawnings.com/awnings-in-farfield-westchester-county

    ReplyDelete
  4. There was a time when my family and I went camping and it started raining. It was pouring a lot so we made our own awning for shelter. It was pretty lucky that we had our tarp with us. http://www.coastwideblinds.com.au/

    ReplyDelete